City : Apprenticeships Arena : How to make the most of an Apprenticeship
An apprenticeship is a fantastic opportunity and could lead to a full-time job, so you should definitely make the most of your time there. Here is some advice on how to do that.
Have a look at just a few of the apprenticeship schemes being run in the Reading area and how they can benefit your future career opportunities.
Before you start
- Where do you need to get to when you arrive on your first day?
- Work out how you are going to get there on day one and what time will you need to leave to get there on-time. Always leave some extra time in-case there is traffic or a delay on the train
- Do you need to bring anything on your first day?
- Do you have the phone number of your manager or reception so you can call if there is a problem getting there?
- Have you given your mobile number to someone in the office so they can contact you?
- What should you wear on day one? Is there a uniform, if so where will you get it and do you need to pick it up before hand? If there is no uniform then go clean and smartly dressed
- Do you know anyone who has already done the apprenticeship who could tell you about it? They may be able to give you hints and tips on what to do and what not to do.
During the Apprenticeship
- Be punctual, arrive on-time and warn people if you are going to be late
- Be enthusiastic, smile and enjoy the experience
- Be polite and friendly to everyone, you may get a permanent job here so you want to start by getting on with the people you’re working with
- Turn off your mobile phone and don’t answer it while you’re at work,
- Ask questions, this is a learning opportunity and asking questions is the best way to learn. If you don’t know how to do something then ask, no one will mind and they will be impressed by your willingness to learn