City : Money & Benefits Blade : Housing

Money & Benefits Blade

How can I get Help with Housing?

Below we've listed some of the support you can get for housing in Reading and where to look for help...

  • Housing Benefit

    If you pay rent and are unemployed, on a low income, or claiming benefits, you can claim Housing Benefit to help you pay.

    There are a variety of eligibility requirements, but you only have to fit one: check here whether you fit the requirements.

    The best way to quickly figure out if your eligible for any benefits is to try a benefits calculator. Click here to be taken straight to a benefits calculator.

    You can also check the Reading Borough Council website for infomation regarding housing benefit, here.

  • Council Tax Support

    If you are under 18 and do not own or rent your home, you do not have to pay Council Tax. If you are 18 or over and do own or rent your home, you'll have to pay Council Tax. To find out more about Council Tax make sure to check the GOV.UK website!

    If you're claiming Universal Credit or Housing Benefit then you may be eligible for Council Tax Support. You can check via the Reading Borough Council website, here.

    Check the Reading Borough Council website for general information regarding council tax in Reading.

  • Mortgage Interest Run On

    A Mortgage Interest Run On is extra money that you can get towards housing costs if your other benefits are affected by:

    • Starting to work full-time,
    • Working more hours,
    • Earning more money.

    You can recieve help from A Mortgage Interest Run on for 4 weeks.

    For more information check the GOV UK website.

  • Homelessness

    If you're worried about becoming homeless, are homeless, or know someone close to you who is here's where to look for help...

    • Reading Borough Council: Check the local council's help and support for homelessness and preventing homelessness here.
    • Launchpad Reading: Launchpad Reading support those who are homeless and work to prevent homelessness within Reading.
    • Homeless LinkThe Homeless Link website has information about services for homeless people, including hostels, day centres and other advice and support services. 
    • ShelterShelter are a homeless charity that can also help you to find housing and give homelesseness advice. The nearest local centre is in Slough.
    • ANUKANUK allows you to check if a private rented landlord is part of an accreditation scheme. Accreditation schemes are voluntary schemes that landlords join to show that they provide good quality accommodation.

Log in and complete this floor.