City : Interview Stage : Common Interview Questions
Common Interview Questions...
Below we've listed some questions that you might want to think about preparing before your interview.
(Of course there are lots of questions that you could be asked, so don't plan specific answers to only a few questions, as you might not be asked them!)
Questions About You
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why would you like to join us and take on this role?
- What makes you stand out?
- What can you bring to this role?
- What are your goals and motivations?
- Where do you see yourself in five years’ time?
- What salary are you seeking?
- What are your strengths and what are your weaknesses?*
- Do you know what we do? Who are our main competitors?
- Do you have any questions to ask us?
* To find out more about how you can talk about what skills you have, check out our CV skills advice!
- Describe a recent major challenge that you have faced.
- Describe a time when you led a team.
- Describe a time when you worked in a team.
- Describe a time when you dealt with a difficult person.
- Describe a situation where you solved a problem.
- Tell us about a time where you have had to be creative to finish a task.
- Describe a time where you have dealt with adversity.
- Describe a time when you have influenced or persuaded another person to follow your idea.
- Tell us about a time where you were successful at managing your time.
- What has been your greatest achievement?
How to answer interview questions
When answering interview questions think about using the STAR technique explained below:
- Situation: What was the background to the situation?
- Task: What was the challenge - what needed to be done?
- Action: What did you do specifically? Although they may be interested in teamwork skills you need to show how you made a difference.
- Result: What was the outcome? Even if the overall result was not ideal try and mention the things that did go well. Try, if you can, to be specific e.g. give numbers of how you improved performance or made sales.